1. cat - This use of cat is for things River knows are living breathing entities, but she's not quite sure what they are. cat usually refers to children, birds, large dogs, and other things that roam close to the ground. I say large dogs, because River knows the word dog, but I guess because she is only ever around small dogs, the larger more aloof kind is clearly a different animal.
2. caaaat (with a soft t) - I refrain from putting a question mark on this because she barely puts that upwards pitch on the end. caaaat means "what is that?" Sometimes, she'll actually say "dat," but it usually comes out the first way. This word is accompanied by a point of the finger.
3.CAT! - Lastly, is the proper use of the word. This is pronounced with crystal clear confidence and a big ass smile that'll melt your heart. We have two cats, both grey. River has just started showing interest in chasing them around. They don't quite hide, but they lurk in the shadows trying to maneuver from one room to the next without being spotted by that demon thing that just won't leave. When they venture into the middle of the room, River, being the polite little girl she is, talks to the cats (she even bends down to get closer to their faces) and shares her toys with her. Obviously, the cats don't appreciate her generosity, so they scurry away.
- Mama (which she only says with the sign for "eat" cause that's all I am to her; a meal ticket)
- Hi! (second favorite word
- Gig-gig (this is my mom's dog Fizzgig)
- Bu-bub (bubble bath)